Have curved spine, spots on body and diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Are these related?

Pediatrician
Question
My 8 year old daughter has a curved spine and we recently found out she has hypothyroidism. Are the two things related. She has started thryroid meds and is now covered in spots. The doctors are having no reaction when I bring her in. These are of course the same docs that missed her completely inactive thyroid for the last 4 years. She is also having heart valve problems. Please help me figure out what to do for her and where to take her next. She has seen the endrocrinologist, now we are looking for heart and back doctors. Should we also seek out a dermatologist. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concern regarding the health challenges of your daughter.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong. Your daughter is having the following problems:
1. Heart valve problem
2. Curved spine
3. Hypothyroidism
4. Spots on her body

I would like to have more details of each of the four issues ennumerated above:
1. What is the echocardiography reports?
2. Where is the curve of the spine? What are the radiological findings? Is there any neurological involvement with it?
3. Is there complete inactivity of the thyroid gland or less activity? If there is "complete inactivity" as you have mention then there should be other associated findings.
4. How big and what type of spots are there on the body? Are they increasing in size? When did they start appearing?

When there are a number of congenital problems in a child we try to fit it into a syndrome. However it shall be difficult to come to a definite conclusion on this platform without examining and having all the relevant details/investigations. I hope you appreciate it.

My suggestion to you will be to take your pediatrician into confidence. With him as the team leader the concerned specialities can be coordinated to manage your daughter.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarification or would like to share any fresh information.

Wishing your daughter all the best..

RKK