Have crying spells and disturbed sleep pattern. What should I do for cure?

Dec 2014

I feel like my world is falling apart and have days where I cant stop crying or sleeping. I dont know whats wrong with me, im making my families life hell and sometimes I feel like I dont want them around. Is this normal?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 32 minutes later
Thanks for asking from Health Care Magic.

You have feeling to world is falling apart. You have crying spells, disturbed sleep pattern. You have feeling that you are making life of your family hell. These are definitely not normal.

Most likely, they may be symptoms of some Depressive Disorder. In depressive disorder feelings of world falling apart, hopelessness, helplessness, worthlessness etc. are common. You have crying spells also along with disturbed sleep pattern. You are having guilt feeling also as you are having feeling of making your family life hell.

These symptoms should not be ignored even if you are behaving normal in social and occupational life. Consultation of a good doctor of Psychiatrist is must.

Treatment of these symptoms includes both Pharmacological and Non Pharmacological methods.

Medicines like SSRI as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertaline etc will help you a lot. Other medicines like SNRI as Venlafexine, Duloxetine are also useful. These medicines will correct biochemical abnormalities responsible for symptoms.

Psychosocial treatment includes Cognitive Therapy. It will help to learn hope in life and tend to correct abnormal behaviors in you. If you do not want to take medicines, you can go for Cognitive Therapy by a Psychologist.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD
Follow-up: Have crying spells and disturbed sleep pattern. What should I do for cure? 25 hours later
Can u give me some natural ways of dealing with this id prefer not to take tablets
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 minutes later
Hello again
The symptoms you are showing are in mild depressive disorder. As you have mentioned you don't want to take medicine, you can control them by psychosocial methods. If any good psychologist or counselor is available near you can visit and take sessions of Cognitive Therapy.

If that is also not possible then you can do home based techniques-

- See depression occurs due to change in ones view. As negative views about self or I am worthless, negative views about world or no one can help me (helpless) or negative views about future or hopelessness. These views or thinking are needed to change in order to come out of depression. Such type of thinkings come in mind due to our continuous failures, set backs and other factors like cognitive distortions. Cognitive distortions as habit of Overgeneralization, assumptions, maximization, minimization etc.
Assumptions for example like if one family member ignored you unknowingly you will Assume that he/she doesn't like you. When you generalize this behavior to whole then it is Generalization.
Similarly habit of making a small issue in large is maximization
And minimization is making any good thing about your self in small intensity.

So you have to change such type of maladaptive behaviors in you. You have to start thinking life in a good prospective. You have to shed your negative thoughts.
I know it is very difficult to do but you have to do it. The process is called cognitive therapy. Try to assess yourself and make a list of negative behaviors in you and then find a way to change them.

- Go for a brisk walk in morning, meditate for at least 15 minutes. Try to avoid unnecessary confrontations.

- Make yourself busy in creative things.

- Eat a plenty of chocolates (not in such quantities that increases your weight)

- Early to bed and early to risk has good effects in depression.

- Do thing that make you happy.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you are satisfied with conversation please review.

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD