Have crohn's disease. Reduced prednisolone dose. Having abdominal pain. Looking for relief

I have crohns disease my doctor has just reduced my prednisolone from 5mg to 4mg also I am having methortixate 1ml by injection every week. For the past week and a bit I have had lower abdominal pain around the belly button area which is sometimes so bad I just cry, can you help.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Crohn's Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

I am sorry that you are feeling so unwell.

Periumbilical pain (pain around the umbilicus) or pain in the lower abdomen are common presentations in Crohns disease. In some persons the pain may start and may be partly relieved by using the bathroom.

Steroids cannot be used long term because of the potential side effects
and sometimes after the dosage is reduced there are increased symptoms which is what you are presently experiencing.
Methotrexate is considered effective in inducing and maintaining a remission.

Since you are still symptomatic with the methotrexate it is possible that the dose may need to be adjusted for optimum effect.
Another option would be the use of another immunosuppressant such as azathioprine which is also used for moderate to severe disease.

Your best option would be to visit your doctor for an evaluation, he or she can also determine if an infection of the bowel is contributing to your symptoms, in which case an antibiotic would be necessary.

I hope you feel better soon.
Please feel free to ask any other questions