Have cramping and have had period. Have itching outside vagina and have burning with urination. Cause?

I have cramping and have had my period for a month straight. Along with light itchiness on the outside of my vagina. No other discharge no smell. I've been working out a lot and that seems to make it worse. I also have burning with urination on and off an the feeling of having to go again.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX After analyzing your query I feel you are suffering from Urinary tract infection. Because, burning urination and frequent feeling to go again are common symptoms.
And your next problem of cramping and period for a month clinically known as DYSMENORRHOEA and probably MENORRHAGIA (continuous bleeding for 1 month) needs to be evaluated. This happens if there is any problem in the uterus/ cervical like fibroid, polyps/ PID (pelvic inflammatory disease)/any hormonal problem like THYROID DISORDER/ any contraception (which you have not mentioned about).
Itchiness around the vagina is due to excoriation, due to UTI (urinary tract infection). Hence I suggest you to get evaluated from an OBGY specialist, then I think you should undergo following basic investigations to come to a final diagnosis:
Urine-microscopy and culture
Thyroid function test
Scanning of pelvis: look for any problem with uterus/ovary/cervix
My advise till you get an appointment: Drink lot of water, you can take urine alkalyser syrup daily, don’t scratch your vaginal area, do not apply any detergents/harsh soaps, always keep your urethral and vaginal area clean and dry.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile