Have coughing, wheezing and sore congestion in chest. Unable to cough up phlegm and have crackling sound. Suggest?

I have severe, constant coughing which will not let me sleep. I am wheezing and have this sore congestion in my chest but have been unable to cough up any phlegm. I can hear creaks, crackling in my chest/tubes/ears but cannot pinpoint where. I do not really have a runny nose or cold - just a very rough tickly cough that's making me sore and unable to sleep.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

There are signs of airway obstruction(Bronchospasm).

The causes can be many.
2.Any infection(Viral or Bacterial Pneumonia).

Bronchodialators and expectorants will help is easing the cough and bring out the sputum.

You may need to undergo some more test.

1. Complete blood count.
2. Sputum culture and sensitivity.
3. Chest CT scan.

All this will help in arriving at a diagnosis.

Consult a Pulmonologist.