Have coughing spell, use inhaler. Noticed sharp tingling in arms and legs. Overweight. Guide?

Hi I have coughing spell I do sometimes use an inhaler but not often in the summer but I've noticed that sometimes my coughing is sending sharp tingling right threw me body down my arms and legs. I'm a 54 yr old little over weight
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

The sharp tingling to your arm and leg is mostly likely to be caused by impingement of nerve exiting from the holes in the vertebral column (bony support of the back). Now the upper and the lower vertebra are separated from each other with a cartilage called disk, due to excessive force of coughing it will create a pressure that can impinge the nerve which is exiting between bony structures as the disk compresses under the force of coughing.

The forced coughing leads to such tingling sensation and nothing to worry about its pressure on nerves from the force.

Hope it will help to understand and reduce the anxiety.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any further concerns.