Have cough, sinus infection, swollen uvula and chest congestion. Am I contagious?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am feeling sick , I am a fitness director and do not want to get anyone else sick,am I contagious .
My symptoms are ,congestion in my chest and sinuses ,coughing , and a swollen uvula
Thank you
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 47 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I am of the opinion that you could be suffering from acute upper respiratory tract infection with pharyngitis.

If this problem has started recently, then it could be of viral etiology. Viral infection can be contagious sometimes. Do not worry! With appropriate measures this can be taken care of.

My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this keeps the nasal and throat mucosa moist and reduces the inflammation.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. Saline spray will keep the mucosa moist and helps in clearing of the nasal secretions. While, steam inhalation opens up the clogged sinuses and clears of the stagnated secretions.
3. Use an anti-inflammatory medicine such as diclofenac or ibuprofen to reduce the uvular swelling and the pain.
4. If the symptoms do not subside with the above measures you will require potent oral antibiotic such as a combination of amoxycillin+ clavulanic acid or cefuroxime.
5. Maintain voice rest for few days till the uvular edema subsides.
6. Avoid forceful clearing of the nose and throat.
7. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.
8. Avoid smoking hot/cold food and beverages and coffee for few days till you recover.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon