Have cough. red fingertip, difficulty in swallowing and ent infection. Required treatment?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello. My name is XXXXXXX. My daughter has been ill for a time and half a time recently. You see, it doesn't seem like a cold or flu, it is too often and sort of frequented with her. Right now she is experiencing a cough last 6 days very wet sounding, She has trouble sitting up, and a pain in belly, her finger tips are very red, the red fingertips had started at two years old oddly enough and were painful then when she could hardly talk, now she is four and they have started hurting her again and so she sucks them sometimes saying it helps the pain....she is a BRILLIANT little girl, but suffering something that is troubling her. I just had her in the specialist for anal pain that hurts her about once or twice a month REALLY bad. Now today rather tonight her forehead, left butt cheek, legs, and stomach hurt her. I am thinking flu plus maybe something else, but I need help, and since I am not in France unfortunately the doctors are very unhelpful due to plicy and restrictions of talking oevr the phone.....:) Can you speculate and get back to me? Lots of sniffles, she says she has trouble swallowing sometimes, lots of ENT symptoms it seems her swallowing is extremely noisy and wet gurgly sounding, I just want to help her feel better tonight wihtout spending tons in the er and them not even do anything for her....
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thanks for the detailed and neat summary!
I have a few questions to begin with.
1- Is she growing well - I mean weight and height as per growth chart?
2- are her physical and mental mile stones normal?
3- do you have any family history of immuno deficiency?
4-is there any peeling of the skin in finger tips?

From your description she seems to be getting recurrent infections - 2 UTIs, pneumonia, ENT infections, respiratory infections, injection abscess,etc.within this 4 years.This kind of infections in the various parts of the body suggests a general problem!

I feel that she needs to be investigated for immuno deficiency syndromes. She will need some blood tests.

It is better for you to show her to a Pediatrician with the complete list of her illnesses recorded in a single sheet so that the doctor can evaluate her and refer her to Pediatric Immunologist.
In a crowded ER there will be no time for this and she will only receive the emergency care!
Even if we get a negative result, we are happy since it will rule out a major problem and give you peace of mind!
Moreover there is concern for the suffering endured by the child which needs to be alleviated!

God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Have cough. red fingertip, difficulty in swallowing and ent infection. Required treatment? 22 hours later
Absolutely Doctor. Thank you so much. This relieves me from feeling like something needs eval. besides me only. I do think she needs some blood tests, all of what you said can be contributive. I myself might have an immuno deficiency and well, my family is very sparce so we do not keep in touch well or know much about one another, but I will get on this! I am going to see the regular doctor and bring the sheet of paper and explain that I am concerned something else might be going on. I feel like they might judge me saying I am looking for something to be wrong, when in fact I just want to help ehr get the best help.

Thank you so so much! She does have a bit of peeling on the tips, in the front near the fingertips, where it is really red. She use3d to complain of pain there when she could not even talk and now i am watching like a hawk. My mom died when i was little and I am a worry wart now! Even after I wrote that last night, she startd vomiting and I took her in to the ER. They said she has an URI and gave her some antibiotics. She is on the medicine for 5 days, her fevers are getting better. She has always been very big for her age. She is medium weight and tall and very smart! She talks perfectly and is just a blessings and ahalf. I am at work so I have to go, but thank you so much! I will write you again later if anything changes or I think of another question.
Follow-up: Have cough. red fingertip, difficulty in swallowing and ent infection. Required treatment? 0 minute later
(Thank you so much from Froks, WA doctor) :)

OK dear,
Don't worry!
Consider my suggestions.
You have every right to be concerned about your child!
You are a caring mother!
God bless you and the child!
Dr Uma