Have cough, lump in throat, burning and tearing eye. Easy way to get cure?

Oncologist, Radiation
Question
i have a lump in my throat, it doesn't hurt, just annoying. I feel if I can burp, i would feel better. Also my sinuses are draining (eyes burning and tearing) and I have a cough every now and then.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 12 minutes later

It be more beneficial for you if you could give me some more details. I will be able to give you a better guidance with the following details.

- Where is the lump?(exact location)
- Is there any associated symptoms like pain, hoarseness of voice, bleeding?
- Is there any other swelling in the neck?
- Please mention your personal history regarding addiction.(like any form of tobacco)
- Have you felt any earache in recent time?
- Is there any history of fever , wight loss , anorexia present.

Waiting for your response.

Follow-up: Have cough, lump in throat, burning and tearing eye. Easy way to get cure? 3 hours later
the lump feels like in the center between the two bones in the neck. No hoarseness, pain or bleeding, just a cough at times. no swelling that i can see. No addiction to tobacco. my left ear feels block at times. No fever, weight loss or anorexia.

Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later
Thanks for providing the details.

Central neck swelling commonly indicates thyroid swelling but from your description, it is difficult to comment.

It will be beneficial to you if you can upload the image of the lump.
Clinical examination is necessary to assess
Consistency, fixity to underlying structure, tenderness, relation to movement on deglutition and tongue protrusion, pulsation, size and shape.

Your other symptoms are suggestive of chronic sinusitis.

Please consult your doctor and ask for an otorhinolaryngologist referral.

If you have any query, I will be available to answer.

Follow-up: Have cough, lump in throat, burning and tearing eye. Easy way to get cure? 15 hours later
The lump is not a physical lump where you see it, it a sensation of a lump. Also the right ear seems to be clogged, but I had it checked and there is no wax blocking the inside. The right side of the neck is tender but it doesn't hurt. There is slight swelling on the right side of the neck. My eyes are tearing and the cough can be a nuisance. Can I have an ear infection without it hurting? It feels like when you fly, your ear feels funny until you yawn or something to clear it.

Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 2 hours later
Thanks for providing the details.

Your symptoms most likely suggest following differential diagnosis
-Common cold : The common cold is a viral respiratory infection causing sore throat, stuffy or runny nose, headache ,mucus production.
-Viral pharyngitis : Viral pharyngitis is a sore throat caused by a virus, and causes throat pain and cold-like symptoms.
-Chronic sinusitis: Chronic sinusitis, or sinus infections, cause a stuffy or runny nose, tooth pain, fever, sore throat and more.
-Allergic reaction: Allergic reaction causes sneezing, runny nose and hives and can lead to anaphylaxis, a whole body reaction.
-Indoor allergens: Indoor allergens are the things that cause an allergic reaction: dust, dust mites, mold, pet hair and more
-Bronchitis: Bronchitis, an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, causes cough, dark or yellow

Serous otitis media and gastro-esophageal reflux disorder may also be a cause.

Generally ear infection is associated with ear ache.

Please consult your doctor for detailed discussion.