Have cough, chest congestion and blocked nose. Which specialist should I consult?

Pulmonologist
Question
The issue is cough ( dry / with little sputum / sometimes just mucus ). Nose ( any one side is mostly blocked ) . A little chest congestion. If continue with the medicine given below , I feel ok . as soon as I stop I get the the symptoms back. 3 weeks back had very hard to breath , doctor gave me Seretide Accuhaler ( its gives relive - I use it average once 48 hours ). I am confused , don't know which specialist to go for - what is my disease and where to look for cure.
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through the query, I would like to comment the following :

1. You seem to be suffering from seasonal allergic rhinitis with obstructive airway disease ? cough variant asthma.

2. You need to get yourself evaluated in detail by a pulmonologist / chest physician.

3. Its a good news that your recent chest xray was apparently normal.

4. You need to undergo a pulmonary function test (spirometry with reversibility) and blood investigation like serum IgE level.

5. As per the evaluation report you need to be started on inhalers, oral medicines and may be nasal spray to relieve nasal congestion.

6. Also you may consider getting yearly flu vaccination and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccination.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Have cough, chest congestion and blocked nose. Which specialist should I consult? 2 hours later
Hi Sir,
thanks a lot for your help. Can you please specify the tests to specify the problems/issues. I will get the tests done and upload the results for further discussions. I am living in Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia . And due to lot of greenery , there are much chances of allergy . But the issue is I am not sure what I am allergic to. Are there any tests to identify for allergic factors that I should refrain from.
Waiting for your reply

XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up query.
After going through the follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. The investigations required as mentioned in point 4 above are pulmonary function test (spirometry with reversibility) and blood investigation like serum IgE level.In addition a serum allergy panel is being done in some pathology labs. Also if there is an allergy specialist then skin allergy testing can be done.

2. Spirometry with reversibility is normally available in medical institutes /centers/ hospitals or some labs. A pulmonologist or chest physician can get it done for you. Also a clinical examination is required.

3. I would thus recommend you to visit a chest physician or pulmonologist in your area and get yourself evaluated and examined in detail as mentioned above.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist