Have cough, back pain and breathing difficulty. Found extreme neutrapenia, low blood cells. Related?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have high risk MDS and extreme neutrapenia, neutraphils at 200, low blood cells. This morning I had severe pain in my rib cage, side and upper back, hurt with deep breaths and cough. This eventually settled down by 80% approximately 2-3 hours. Does this have any relation to my disease?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I dont see any relation between these 2 conditions. If you had high blood cells count then we could consider blood clotting in thoracal vessels.
But without it, I think this is just temporary intercostal muscle pulling or phrenical and intercostal nerve impacting. It means that problem is in thoracic wall,not in your lungs.It should pass in 24 hours and nonsteroid painkillers are usualy helpful. Just sit or lay with your upper body elevated, breathe deeply and rest. If you experience cough,fever, pain progression or dizzines you should go to hospital.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help