Have cough and fluttering sensation in throat. Stress test and EKG normal. Safe remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Good

Pediatrician
Question
I have a fluttering in my throat which makes me cough. It last about ten seconds maybe three or four times a day. I have had stress tests and EKG's being told all normal.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The fluttering in your throat may be due to the local causes like nerves irritation in the throat or muscle contractions of the pharynx which are called 'fasciculations'.

As the the stress tests and EKG are normal, this rules of any heart related problems.

But some times vocal tics also present with similar presentation.

At the same time local causes of the throat has to be examined to look for any infections.

So I advise you to consult an ENT surgeon to examine the throat to rule out any local causes for the fluttering in your throat.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have cough and fluttering sensation in throat. Stress test and EKG normal. Safe remedy? 7 hours later
Sometimes a burning sensation also and seem to be tired along with it.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Burning sensation in the throat may be due to reflux of acid into the esophagus in conditions like acidity and gastroesophageal reflux.

In this situations antacids and drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole will help by decreasing the acid secretion.

Nothing to worry and you will get rid of the distressing symptoms of fluttering in your throat.

Consult an ENT specialist as early as possible to get examined and for the treatment advise.

Regards.