Have cough after eating dry food. Had tonsils removed. Why is it sore? Can it cause bad breath?

Hello. I have coughing fits after eating potato or dry food. I've had my tonsils removed when I was a teenager. I think it's causing headaches and dizziness and the section of my throat is beyond what I can see. It feels a little sore or scratchy very often on the right side? and I think it's causing bad breath. Something I've never had because I excercise and eat very healthily. Can you help me please? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Cough is reflex and can occur when some food particle enter the respiratory tract. Other factors include infection or allergies to certain food particles. Another close possibility that might be responsible is Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Here there are major problems in the functioning and mechanism of the lower esophageal sphincter which results in reflux of food and digestive contents back into the esophagus and throat causing cough and throat irritation.

Headache and dizziness which can be part of upper respiratory inflammation may be associated with infection / congestion resulting from the aforementioned reasons.

Bad breath has been associated with GERD.

I would encourage you to consult your doctor for evaluation. You need a detailed throat examination and upper gastroscopy.

In the meantime, I advise you to take over the counter decongestants and analgesics. Salt water gargling and steam inhalation will be helpful. Over the counter medications like prilosec OTC (proton pump inhibitors) is effective in treating GERD and relieving your symptoms. In addition change in diet and lifestyle to suit your health will be beneficial.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.