Have costochondritis. Started pain in ribs near sternum. Taking medicine. Any suggestion?

I was diagnosed with costochondritis this week. I have a pain in my ribs under my right breast near my sternum. The doctor prescribed celebrex and capzasin creme. My pain was gone for the day yesterday, now it is back today. What else can I do?
The doctor game me a breast exam and didn't find any lumps. She then felt around to determine where I was sore.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The pain associated with costochondritis can be severe. It involves inflammation of the costosternal joints (where the ribs attach to the sternum) and any of the 7 joints may be involved. In most cases more than one is affected.

Anti-inflammatory medications like celebrex are recommended. In addition to the medication you can also try heat therapy (placement of a warm cloth to the chest for approx 10 mins), gentle stretching of the pectoral muscles 2 to 3 times a day may also be helpful. Refraining from intense physical activity is also important.
Pain from costochondritis can last 1 to 2 weeks, in rare cases it can last longer.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have costochondritis. Started pain in ribs near sternum. Taking medicine. Any suggestion? 3 minutes later
Do you think i should request more diagnostic tests or a pain killer or higher dose of celebrex? Why do i feel fine one day and miserable the next?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later

In females, doctors have a lower index of suspicion about cardiac pain, combined with the fact that women may sometimes not present with the typical symptoms leads to increased cardiac problems for females.

Cardiac pain, which is the most feared cause of chest pain, normally presents with central chest pain which is tight or heavy in nature, associated with shortness of breath, palpitations and excess sweating. It is diagnosed based on history, ECG and blood tests.

The pain from costochondritis also tends to be central but the difference is the presence of tenderness and the fact that this pain may worsen with movement of the trunk.
In heart disease, tenderness on palpation of the chest is not found.

If you are worried about another potential cause of the pain , then you can consider visiting your doctor for a reassessment.

Celebrex is normally given as 200mg but for severe pain, in the initial stage it can be given at 400mg for 3 to 4 days. It would be best to speak to your doctor before altering the dose of the medication.

It is possible that even minimal activity would have aggravated the inflammation. You need to rest as much as possible for the next few days.

Feel free to ask any other questions