Have cortisone injections for arthritis. Want to know the dosage per day of Endone to relieve pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
During periods of extreme pain, say a matter 3 to 4 weeks, how much Endone is it safe to take per day or how often?
Over 6 years, I have received cortisone injections into lower back joints for severe arthritis, which has left me pain free for up to 12 months. I have the advantage of not becoming physically addicted, so can stop completely when pain ceases, even after weeks.
However, I now have arthritis in my shoulder joint and will require a shoulder replacement. The nerve was trapped causing an inflammation. The radiologist states the cortisone will only 'start' kicking in after 3 weeks.
I do not drive when on major analgesics.
I have been taking 1 1/2 tablets rather than 1 and sometimes require 2 tablets.
I want to know what the maximum safe dosage is per day.
I am generally reasoably healthy and 64 years of age.
Is there any way to do shoulder surgery without full anaesthetic?
Thank you, XXXXXXX

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Endone 5mg tablets should be taken after meals or with milk – 1tablet every 6hours as needed. You can take it maximum upto 2 tablets every 6 hourly for pain relief.
Pay close attention to excessive sedation/sleepiness and a noisy breathing. This needs a dosage reduction.
After taking Endone tablets, the analgesic effect occurs within 10-15minutes, reaches its maximum in 30-60minutes and persists for 3-6hours
However for a severe nerve related pain, a combination of medicines is recommended. You can get get Pregabalin or Gabapentin and methylcobalamin supplements prescribed from your orthopedician for better relief.
For a shoulder surgery, brachial plexus block can be used but general anaesthesia is preferred for a better muscle relaxation during the operation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have cortisone injections for arthritis. Want to know the dosage per day of Endone to relieve pain? 7 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal,
Thank you for your advice!
I am on a wait list for an orthopaedic surgeon and meanwhile only with my GP.
I can ask about taking something in combination as suggested.
Previously I used 4 tablets per day but am now taking 1 1/2 tablets instead of 1, so maximum 6 per day.
I have not experienced any side effects, but also have not required high grade pain medication long term only for about 8-10 weeks.
I just tend to be very careful with any narcotics.
My GP is not concerned as I have not increased the present dosage for the same result.
It is reassuring to have a second opinion while waiting for specialist care.
Best regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress. If there are no side effects then you can continue taking 1 1/2 tablets every 6 hourly.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards