Have copper IUD inserted. Had unprotected sex. Missing period, getting brown vaginal discharge

Mar 2016

I was scheduled for an obgyn appt but ended up unexpectedly out of state. But my growing concern can't wait any longer...My last menstrual cycle was ten days late, and came after nearly a week of brown spotting. Now, I am three weeks late from the would be new cycle, and have had ongoing brown discharge for 2.5 weeks. There is no odor.

-I have a copper I.u.d.
-I've had an ovarian tumor removed (5 years ago)
-I've had unprotected sex with two partners
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX platform. I am trying to solve your problem.

Brown vaginal discharge with late period is mostly associated with hormonal imbalance & vaginal infection in relation to inserting IUD. Other close possibility is old blood/ endometrial tissue which may be co-existed by stress/ anxiety, thyroid disorder, irregular diet habit, psychological factor, pelvic infection etc.

But first of all, we need to rule out implantation bleeding or miscarriage (common presentation with brown discharge) by doing one blood test for beta-HCG and trans vaginal sonography (TVS scan).

Here, you may need to undergo other investigations to pinpoint the diagnosis like complete hormone assay including thyroid profile, STD profile, blood sugar & prolactin level, vaginal swab test, endometrial tissue biopsy etc. Cu-IUD may be required to remove to alleviate this type of problem & you can opt for other contraceptive method.

Complete treatment depends on underlying causative factor. You may need to take proper antibiotic therapy & vaginal suppository if miscarriage is ruled out.

In this scenario, I suggest you to take an appointment with your gynecologist regarding this for physical/ pelvic examination and take suggestive measures according to test reports.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink more water/ juice, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/ deep breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene & take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future and use condoms to avoid STD.

Dr Soumen