Have continuous pain in knee with normal MRI and X-ray. What could be the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What does it mean when my MRI comes back unfounded? My knee is buckling constantly daily with severe pain but my ortho doctor says everything is fine with your xray and RA has been ruled out. Is it possible my knee has a torn mensicus and or acl?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The persistent pain in the knee joint with a normal MRI scan can be due to a cartilage damage or a muscle tear above or below the joint. It could also be a biomechanical pain due to shifting of bony alignment.
Sometimes MRI can miss an injury or a tear. The best way is to get a bone scan done or opt for an exploratory Arthroscopy to find out.
I would also suggest a second opinion. If you go this route, make sure you get your MRI's, X-Rays, and files sent to the second doctor. It would be pointless to start pain management if you do have damaged tissue which requires repair.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.