Have constipation, weight gain and experiencing fullness in abdomen. Should I consult a doctor?

I am experiencing very full abdomen no pain just fullness . I have also gained 7+ lbs this week . I had a colonic yesterday. Was told I was constipated, took a whole bottle ofcitroma still no relief. My husband is very worried about this and thinks I should go to the er. Should I be alarmed? Not pregnant, 53,
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later

You have a history of underactive thyroid and you are being treated by Syntroid. I want you to make sure that your TSH levels are normal on the current dosage of Synthroid you are on.

It might need readjusting since we know under active thyroid is associated with constipation. That is number one. Secondly, if you are having chronic constipation, you need to address that issue. Is your fiber and fluid intake adequate? If not make sure that you add some fiber supplement like effersyllium or metamucil daily. You can also take a stool softener daily.

If these don't help you may need Miralax or a similar PEG solution that can regulate your bowel. I notice that you are 50+ and you should have had a screening Colonoscopy by now. If you have not, please get that done.

I wish you the very best.