Have constipation problem. Having belching and bloating of stomach. What can be done?

General Surgeon
Question
I have constipation problem in the sense I have to digitally remove faeces as it is dry and come in small pieces. Other than this, I have belching and bloating of stomache. This problem started after I sustained injury in sacral region in an accident. what course of action I should take to correct my situation.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Permanent solution is impossible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Spinal cord controls large intestine movements and is responsible for proper stool passage. In case of spinal cord trauma, the connection between spine and colon is interrupted. This gives large intestine motion problem and unfortunately there is no way to fix this nerves. That is why you have chronic constipation.
Intestines has also its own nerves so it can work without spinal cord control. But this is less effective.
All you can do is to use laxatives, stool softeners, increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. Physical activity (if possible at your case) or even abdomen massage can also stimulate bowels movements.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have constipation problem. Having belching and bloating of stomach. What can be done? 6 minutes later
any test or procedure that i have to undergo to confirm that this problem can not be solved? as such it is a bad news for me that I have to live with it for my life.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no such test.

Detailed Answer:
Well, nervous connections between spinal cord and intestines are very complicated. This pathways can not be visualized by any test. The only confirmation of your problem are symptoms you have.
You may have MRI of the spine, but this can only tell where is the spine injury. It wont help with determining if the problem is temporal or permanent. And for sure it wont help in treatment, as nowadays nerve damages in most cases are incurable.
I`m sorry giving you such answer.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have constipation problem. Having belching and bloating of stomach. What can be done? 9 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.