Have constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax power?

Question
Hi, I have problem of constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax Powder for clear bowel regularly ? And how can i reduce my gas formation ? I have done lot of tests like endoscopy etc but all reports are normal.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increase bowel movements

Detailed Answer:

You seem to be piling up a lot of gas in the bowel because of your slower bowel movements. This is complained as constipation. Do you have hard stools or incomplete stools?

Naturolax is not a long term answer, you can take it for few days but your bowel may be addicted to it causing more problems. The substances in naturolax are safe like Isapghol and senna. The other medicines that you take are standard.

Since you have a slower bowel movements you should try to increase it by life style and dietary changes. Lifestyle includes jogging or cycling which increase the movement of bowels.
Dietary changes include avoiding foods that are grown under the ground like onions, root vegetables etc. You should avoid milk and its products as well and see if that brings in changes.

You can take the help of a local dietitian to work on a diet plan.

Follow-up: Have constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax power? 2 hours later
I have incomplete bowel. That is why there is lack of appetite also. Is there any homely food like amla etc that I can take for increased bowel movement ?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take amla

Detailed Answer:
You seem to have slow moving gut, please follow the things I just suggested. eat a lot of fibre, green leaves, amla and bowel movers available as food.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax power? 24 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor. Another problem I wanted to talk about is my appetite. I don't get much appetite anytime. I am very thin as well. Can anything be suggested to increase my appetite and health ?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
AL-LIV syrup or ADD APP

Detailed Answer:
They are some appetite enhancers that you can try for a week.
AL-LIV syrup or ADD APP syrup
You can take one of them for appetite stimulation. Try them twice a day half an hour before food. YOu can take up to 4mg each time. Calculate this 4mg according to the dosage written on the syrup bottle. Suppose each 1ml of the syrup has 2mg, then you can take 2ml for 4mg each dose, twice a day.

You try them for a week if not helpful please do not continue.

Follow-up: Have constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax power? 5 days later
Thank you. I have acute problem of indigestion as well. What ever I eat , takes long time to get digested. Alos if I eat XXXXXXX food some times, it created lot of problem of digestion. Will the syrup that is suggested (AL-LIV) above help in improving my digestion power as well ? If yes then how long do I have to do this course ? If not , then is there any other medicine for this problem ?

(I am currenty under medication of Domstall RD for gastro esophegal refulx syndrome. Will it have any impact if I start to tale AL-LIV?)

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
AL Liv will increase appetite and digestion

Detailed Answer:

Al LIV shall increase the appetite and help in digestion. You can try this syrup. You can take this for a month. DOMSTAL RD for GERD, it helps in improving the motility of the gut and pushes the food faster into the duodenum thereby reducing the reflux chance.

Acute problem of indigestion, give the gut some rest. Just have easily digestible food which are oil less, spice less like Idli, curd rice, baked veggies, fruit etc.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax power? 4 hours later
Thanks doctor.

I always have a feeling mainly after taking food ,that a lump is stuck near my throat. Does it happend due to GERD ? Is there any way to treat this? will DomstallRD help?

I am taking domstall RD in morning empty stomach and evening empty stomach. Can you please advice that how long should my course of domstall RD be continued to get rid of all the gas/indigestion/GERD problem ?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue Domstal

Detailed Answer:
Lump in the throat feel could be GERD. Continue Domstall RD for a month. If unhelpful I suggest you to get an upper GI Endoscopy as well after a month of Domstal RD if does not clear.

Follow-up: Have constipation and tremendous gas formation. Can I take naturolax power? 6 hours later
Yes Doctor. I have alrady done upper GI endoscopy and the report is normal. Also I did chest exray and LFT which are also normal.

I did Full abdomen USG as well, where it is found I have multiple cysts in overy. May people are telling that tremendous gas formation and stomach upset may happen due due this. Can you kindly tell the whether they might be interrelated or not ?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple cysts are common finding normal sometimes

Detailed Answer:

They may or may not be related. It would be important to check if the multiple cysts in the ovary are specific to any condition or not. An Endocrinologist is trained to understand these.

There are certain conditions during hormonal imbalance that give rise to cyst in the ovary. Sometimes these are normal in the physiology.

If it is a hormonal imbalance then the bloating and gas formation could be related. The hormones have complex actions on the body as well as gut so they may prove to be distressing.

Hope this helps.