Have constipation. Cat scan normal, taking magnesium citrate as advised but no help. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been constipation for quite a long time. AFter a Can Scan at the ER (which was bowel obstruction) yesterday, the doctor told me to take Magnesium citrate today in two doses. I drank eight ounces of water and the five ounces of the magnesium at 1:00. then at three I took the rest of the ten ounce bottle and more water. It's been four hours and still no action. When can I expect an eruption? AND, can I eat a light supper while I wait? I've been drinking broth, water and tea since 1:00. I am getting impatient.

Thanks for listening and responding.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Magnesium supplements should work within 12 hours after intake but it is used more for stabilization of bowel motility than for acute opstipation. However, if there is no obstruction seen than this is obviously functional constipation and mg should be beneficial. Be patient for 24 hours,take enough fluids ,high fibre food and milk products. If there is no result than some laxatives or suppositories fir stool softening should be used. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Have constipation. Cat scan normal, taking magnesium citrate as advised but no help. Suggest? 10 minutes later
So, I can relax Andean a little dinner? Green Beans, tomatoes, meat loaf, peaches and milk? I don't have to drink only liquids until I have a result? Is taking. Ambien tonight okay?

Thanks, Dr. romic
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Of course you can have dinner. Just avoid alcohol, fried fatty food and carbonated drinks so you can have all this you ve mentioned.
2 doses of mg should be more than enough. Dont take another dose in next 24 hours.
Urge to defecate rarely causes wakeup unless there is anal incontinence. so if you suffer from insomnia you can take ambien,but eat first and then don't go to bed in next 1 hour because food may trigger defecation. If there is no bowel movement in this 1 hour then try to sleep and it should come in the morning. If there is no bowel movement even then,I suggest to visit doctor for some other medications. Hope you ll feel better soon.
Follow-up: Have constipation. Cat scan normal, taking magnesium citrate as advised but no help. Suggest? 2 hours later
I don't see my comment about beginning to defecate exactly six hours after first dose of MG. I must have neglected to click on send. I am so stupid about how my body works. so, if I keep eating until midnight, I will have more bowel movements? I have eaten an XXXXXXX at 9:00 so I won't have any action until tomorrow morning after I eat granola, right? Right now, I feel no pressure to go to the toilet. Hmmm? I thought it would all come out in three or four hours.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Your body works fine. There is no specific period for bowel movements.
generally food passes through our digestive system for 24-48 hours unless there is diarrhea or some other disorder.
So today you will probably defecate food that you ate 24 hours ago. Since you have constipation it may take even longer.
If you eat an XXXXXXX now,it will come to large bowel in more than 20hours.
Magnesium should speed up this process and you should have bowel movements within 4-8 hours but it may also take longer time in some people.
you dont have to worry if there is no bowel movement.even up to 3 days without defecation isnt indicating something serious.If you feel no pressure right now then fine,you can sleep and see what happens in the morning. if you take food now until midnight it probbaly wont cause more bowel movements unless you take certain food such as coffee,sweet beverages, sweets, biscuits and similar.
Forgot to say that celexa and ambien may have constipation as side effects so consult your doctor about switching these drugs if your symptoms persist.