Have constant erections. Could you tell me why this is happening?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, my boyfriend is experiencing erections constantly. We have rekindled our relationship recently. Although we have been separate for 10 years but continued seeing one another, we have recently decided to actually get together with more commitment and work towards living together. My boyfriend is 42 and I am 41, we have one son together who is 11. We recently decided it was time to make the commitment but take it slowly, dating again and enjoying one another's company. Although his erections have not caused a problem as yet, my boyfriend is wondering why it is happening. We have a healthy sex life but even after climax, whilst snuggling up he has erection almost immediately. Furthermore, he can be at work and think about me and his erection arises, causing him to take several walks a day away from work for a few minuets a a time allowing it to go. Could you tell me why this could be happening?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query. I would like to ask you some more questions which would help me in arriving at a diagnosis : 1) Is he having any pre existing disease as per your knowledge. 2) Is there any family history of blood related disease ( like sickle cell anemia, or neural problems) among his blood relatives. 3) Is he taking any medications ? 4) How long erection lasts ? How many hours it takes for erection to return to normal ? Please send me all details which will help in explaining the condition to you. Regards, DR XXXXXXX KOREGOL
Follow-up: Have constant erections. Could you tell me why this is happening? 22 hours later
There is no pre-existing disease known, though he has not frequented a doctor for several years. There is no blood related disease among his relatives that is known. He doesn't take any medication at all. His erections can be anything from a couple of minuets up to 20 mins depending on his thought process. If he is trying to get rid of it, lets say whilst he is at work, he is able to think of something awful or ugly to him to make it go. If he is with me being intimate it can be 30mins or so during foreplay, have intercourse, climax and immediately return. This also happens if we have intercourse twice within a few hours. This doesn't bother either of us in our love making, he is just wondering why it has began to happen all of a sudden.
He is not the kind of man to be able to discuss this with any one but me. He would not attend the doctors to explain, he doesn't even go to the doctors when he is ill, which is very rare. The bed wetting is also a concern to him but he buries his head and will not visit the doctors due to embarrassment. His mother wet the bed as a child/young adult also and so does our son who is 11. It can go from once a week for 2-3 weeks to nothing for 6-8 months, thinking the problem has gone, then reappears. Would appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you
Hi, thanks for details. Especially bed wetting history is important. 1) This is a neurological problem where nerves controlling the erection and bladder region donot work properly. 2) These nerves come from lower part of spinal cord at the back. Any compression of nerves due to possible degeneration of vertrebra & compression of nerve roots. leads to these problems. 3) This might also be the reason for bedwetting. 4) I understand its embrassing for a man to share this matter but i request him to visit a neurologist who will demonstrate certain excercises & also perform some tests to assess the problem which i cant do online. 4) If not treated, this leads to some other neurological problem in future. I hope my reply helps in assessing the necessity to see neurologist. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol