Have constant burping, no heartburn and acid reflux. Tried antacid and reglain. Suggest?

For the last year I have been constantly burping when I am not laying down. I have no heartburn, acid reflux and no odor to the belching. It doesn't matter if I eat or don't eat, burping continues, sometimes hundreds and hundreds of time. I have tried every antacid on the market OTC and prescription. I tried regalin which worked for a month and now it doesn't work. Nothing works, what should I do. I am waiting for a referral to a gastroentrologist which i may receive. I cannot afford expensive testing. I am at wits end. HELP!!!!! XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take proton pump inhibitor and prokinetic agent

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Burping usually occurs because food stay for a longer period of time then usual and bacteria present over there try to digest them and produce gas which comes out during burps

Main causes of burping are Acid peptic disease, Gastroesophageal disease, Dyspepsia and decreased gastric motility

What you all have to do is:
1. Do regular aerobic exercise at least 30 minutes / day
2. If you are obese or overweight then you should reduce your weight again by exercise and low caloric diet
3. Wear loose clothes
4.Observe when you take milk or milk products whether these symptoms worsen, if yes then please avoid them
5. Avoid carbonated drinks, wine or beer
6.Avoid smoking if you do
7. take black tea and add cardamom and ginger to it and take them with meals
8. Don't forget to close mouth while chewing food
9.Eat slowly
10. Take a proton pump inhibitor along with a prokinetic agent
11. Take Tablets that contain enzymes protease, amylase, lipase with meals

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.