Have conjunctivitis. Can I use gentamicin drops?

I am pretty sure I have conjunctivitis, because I've had it before. I need to know if I can use gentamicin eyedrops that expired two years ago.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would not be advisable to use the expired eye drops. This is because they would not be effective and the chemical structure of the medication would have changed so it may cause damage to the eye.

Conjunctivitis can be viral or bacterial.
Most cases of conjunctivitis are viral (and therefore self limiting) so you can try viral treatment for a few days to see if it is effective.

This would entail mainly supportive treatment such as eye hygiene (clean off any discharge when present with cloth or cotton wool), cold compresses or eye lubricants for the discomfort.

If there is no improvement or worsening of symptoms then you should visit your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions