Have congestion and dry cough. Took generic sinus allergy medicine. Experiencing chest pain. Worrisome

Dec 2012

Hi doctor and thank you. I have had a lot of congestion a dry cough, post nasal drip in back of throat that I attributed to allergies. I took a generic sinus allergy medicine and with-in 30 minutes I was having short wave like/rolling chest twinges/pain. Can this type of medicine cause this reaction. This rolling pain lasted close to 1 1/2 hours.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to answer your query.
Well, my experience has thought me that while taking each medication you should expect any secondary effect (even if it is not mentioned in the manufacturer's manual). If after taking the medication, you developed chest twinges/pain, then it is most likely due to the medication. The generic medication, even though used for allergy might have secondary effects. Not withstanding since you already present with a type of lung problems should not come as a surprise.
I suggest you stay off a little from the medication before taking it again (another trial to confirm if medication is responsible) and if any reaction, then it is for sure the medication responsible. Alternative you can present the issue directly to your primary care doctor who can review you properly (especially for your respiratory infection already present).

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah