Have congested head, itchy throat and coughing up dark phlegm. Which medicine should I take?

Hi, I have congestion in the head, sometimes itchy throat which is triggering occasional coughing, a hoarse voice, and am occasionally coughing up dark XXXXXXX phlegm. What kind of medicine should I look for? Do I need an antibiotic?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Your history is suggestive of upper respiratory infection. Most likely it is a bacterial infection.
If you smoke it may also suggest Bronchitis.
If you have pain and fever, Paracetamol (Tylenol) three times a day would help. You may take OTC antihistaminic like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) which should help you.

Warm saline gargle will help to reduce swelling in throat. If your problem persist or increases, you may require antibiotics like amoxycillin. As they are prescription drugs, you need to visit a Physician there and get the prescription.

Hope this information helps. If there is any further query please let me know, I will be happy to help.