Have congenital heart block. No chest pain, breathlessness or dizziness. Want to lose weight

I'm trying to get in shape, and I feel losing about 25-30 lbs would be a healthy goal for myself (5'5", 158 lbs). The problem is that I have congenital heart block, and my resting heart rate is usually around 48-52. I don't have any chest pain, shortness of breath, dizzy spells, etc, but I do have a check-up scheduled for next month to make sure everything is sound. In the meantime I'm wondering if you can suggest a XXXXXXX heart rate range for me during my workouts. When I work out, even if I'm pushing as hard as I can, my heart rate only goes up to about 76-82. With my resting heart rate taken into account, would this be a sufficient enough increase for fat loss? (I realize diet plays an important role in weight loss as well.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Yes, diet plays a important role in weight loss.Low carbohydrate , low fat and high protein diet is what all you need.Low fat diet would favour the breakdown of stored fat in the body irrespective of the heart rate.The fat deposit just acts a energy reserve in states of low calorie consumption.

The other face of faster weight loss is work out.Yes, in the initial stages of work out the heart rate tends to cope with the over exercising muscles. A safety range for you with congenital conduction defect would be around 70 to 90per sec.Anything crossing 100 can trigger a rhythm defect.Slow and gradual increments in the exercise module will be safe.Around after 6 months or so , the heart would get adapted to the excess work and come to resting stage and do not show much variation even when working out.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.