Have condylitis in rib cage. Not cured by ibuprofen and tylenolwith codeine. What to do?

hi my daughter went to the er dept on saturday they told her she has condylitis in her rib cage they gaveher ibuprofen and tylenolwith codeine she still is in a lot of pain . could you explain this condition to me ,she had a chest exray and those were the findings . thankyou YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The condyles of the ribs are cartilage that attaches the ribs to the sternum.
Inflammation in this area can be called condylitis or more commonly costochondritis. There is also another condition called Tietze syndrome which is similar but associated with swelling of the costal cartilages (this is treated with NSAIDS and rest with resolution of the symptoms within weeks).

It is an inflammatory process of this joint area that can present with severe pain which may be sharp/nagging/aching, made worse by movement of the trunk, taking a XXXXXXX breath or exerting one self.If the pain is really bad some persons may also feel short of breath.
The exact cause is not known as yet but it is thought that repeated minor trauma is the most likely cause.
It is treated with anti inflammatory medication such as the ibuprofen that you mentioned.
Some persons obtain relief by the application of local heat.It would also be important to minimize any activity.
It may take a few days before your daughter feels any better but if the pain is unbearable she may want to consider asking her doctor for a stronger anti inflammatory pain medication or for the dose to be increased temporarily till she gets some relief.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon.Feel free to ask any other questions