Have comorbidity. What are the complicating factors associated with comorbidity?

I know that co-occurring disorders, also known as comorbidity and historically known as dual diagnosis, is recognized as being much more prevalent than previously thought. How would any intervention and research model related to substance-use problems need to differ for an individual with comorbidity versus one without? How would the complicating factors associated with comorbidity and your best practice approach, if you were conducting research to something your interested in? In what ways would you proactively protect participants?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs more efforts and persistence.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail.
Yes you are right in suggesting that dual diagnosis is much more common than was originally thought about. Especially the presence of personality disorders along with other Axis 1 diagnoses such as mood disorders and schizophrenia are very common.
And also the exceedingly common presence of substance use disorder along with other psychiatric disorders.
People with substance use disorders commonly suffer from other psychiatric diagnoses such as mood disorder, anxiety disorder and substance induced psychotic/mood disorder. Now its essential that these comorbid conditions be treated. Treatment is not very different except that the motivation of the patients is less and that need extra efforts in the form of cognitive behavioural therapy and supportive psychotherapy.
It also involves bringing in the family resources as these will help in maintaining the substance treatment.
The research in this area is quite scant as there is high rate of patients leaving the studies.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.