Have cold with discharge in eye. Cannot open eyes in morning. Used gentamicin drops. Safe?

I have been sick with a cold for a week. I woke up yesterday with discharge in my right eye. Last night before bed, I noticed a halo effect with the same eye. When I woke up today, my eye was stuck shut because of discharge. I have gentamicin drops, but they expired two years ago. Are they safe to use?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The eye has got bacterial infection which is leading to discharge, it has developed due to blocked nose secondary to cold.
The eye drops when once opened should not be used beyond one month time and expiry drug must be discarded and not be used.
It can harm rather than benefit.
Buy a fresh Gentamycin or moxifloxacin drops and instill thrice a day for 5 days.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!