Have cold, sore throat, sneezing. Prescribed prometh, lipitor and tolrol. Cannot breathe when try to cough. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have a cold, sore throat, sneezing. I was prescribed prometh w/ codine, Biaxin, flonase. I am on Lipitor, jantavion, Tolrol. I hvae been on the codine, biaxin and flonaze 2 days. I have problems coughing When I try to cough, just as I start to cough, the could is blocked - I cannot breathe in and another could appears - it is also blocked. This goes on about 15 attempts to could. I get this sympton everry time I Raise up, carry a very light load. Each attempt to cough is very painful in my lower chest area. The attempts to cough lasts about 3 minutes; if I don't lay down, it will continue until I can talk a deep breatrh, and wait for the next episodes. Thank you, USMC Retired, Veteran Korea and Vietnam Wars
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 38 minutes later
Thank you for your question.
It appears you have a severe respiratory tract infection. Your doctor has prescribed you an antihistamine, an antibiotic and a corticosteroid. This would be the usual treatment. You have been taking them for 2 days and need to continue as you may not start to feel better for a day or two yet.
The bouts of coughing can be very tiring and the pain you feel may be due to muscle strain from the coughing or it may been due to inflammation of the lung pleura which has caused pleurisy.
Unfortunately, at your age, it will take a while longer to recover from this condition. In the meantime, I would suggest steam inhalations 3 or 4 times a day. For the pain, I would suggest paracetamol and ibuprofen. Rest as much as you can, drink plenty of fluid and try to maintain a healthy diet.
I hope this has been of some help.
Dr K A Pottinger