Have cold, sore throat and discomfort in abdominal area at early pregnancy. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question

cold during pregnancy
I've some pregnancy symptoms but I will take the pregnancy test when my period pass next week.

I got a bad cold that makes me coughing very hard and sneezing. I also have a sore throat but no fever.
when I cough, sneeze I feel a bit discomfot at my lower abdominal area. I am not sure though this is 100% physical or the fact im thinking im pregnant and when I cough hard im getting worried.

I wanted to ask whether having cold/sire throat/coughing/sneezing may or may not impact early pregnancy and are there any precautions I can take.Im not using any medication except vitamin c and multi vitamin with folic acid.

Many Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Sometimes cold andcough if leads to fever and generalized inflammatory reaction can irritate the uterus and can lead to miscarriage.
Excessive coughing and sneezing can lead to spotting.
But these are all rare possibilities.
In-fact cough and cold are common problems during pregnancy also.
The only thing is they have to be treated early and properly.
As you are suspecting pregnancy better to use natural remedies as per as possible.
For more details: http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/05/cough-in-pregnancy.html

You continue taking folic acid and multivitamin tablets, which are helpful for the baby.
If the cough persists after using natural remedies also better to consult doctor and get examined once.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have cold, sore throat and discomfort in abdominal area at early pregnancy. Worrisome 2 hours later
Thanks very much Dr. Sree for your helpful explanation...

If my feelings about being pregnant are correct, this will be my second pregnancy.

In Oct 15th, 2012, I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. It was all natural and didn't need to have a curtage after all.

This miscarriage made us a bit shock as I was having an health pregnancy and had conceived first time we tried to have a baby.

Now I want to do everything right to ensure I have a full term pregnancy

I wanted to ask you if you'd suggest any test or precautions for my next pregnancy?

My mum told me that she had both of us with pregestrone hormon aid but it also took her 4-5 months to conceive. Im wondering if I should have my orogestrone hormone levels checked in this pregbancy? or any other tests you'd suggest?

Many Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Usually the causes for spontaneous abortion are:
Chromosomal abnormalities, coagulation abnormalities, maternal infections, uterine structural abnormalities, hormonal abnormalities etc.
So, this time:
You start taking folic acid supplements from now-onwards.
-By this neurological disorders in the fetus can be prevented.

When you get positive pregnancy test, consult gynecologist and undergo physical examination and ultrasound.
-By this structural abnormalities can be ruled out.

Undergo blood investigations for TORCH group of infections.
-This can diagnose the history of previous infections.

Take progesterone supplementation and aspirin supplementation.
-Progesterone supplementation will help in preventing the miscarriage due to hormonal deficiency and aspirin help in preventing miscarriage due to coagulation abnormalities.

After consulting gynecologist you discuss all these with your doctor and take treatment according to her advice and your needs.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have cold, sore throat and discomfort in abdominal area at early pregnancy. Worrisome 17 minutes later
Thanks again Dr Sree...it was very informative.

I will follow your advice.

One final thing in mind though..When I went to my gp at my first pregnancy, the first app they gave was with the midwife at 11 weeks.

I believe I need to have a check up and ultrasound as soon as possible. maybe 5-6 weeks. But not sure how I will achieve this. Should I go with private instead of nhs to see a gynecologist and have an early ultrasound? or I can request this from nhs as I had an early miscarriage previously.

I'd really appreciate if yoy could advise me which way to go, and timelines of my first scan/check up ie 4,5 or 6 weeks and the timelines of my hormon levels check, infection check etc..

I have been on folic acid for 3 months now.

Many Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

As you had prior miscarriage better to get checkup early.
After missing your period, go for pregnancy test. If the test comes positive consult gynecologist by around 5 weeks, by that time gestational sac can be visible by ultrasound.
You can start progesterone supplementation straightaway as a preventive measure from miscarriage, with your doctor's advice without the need of hormonal assay.
Some doctor's will prescribe aspirin also as a prophylactic measure because there is history of miscarriage and your age is 30 plus.
You may go for TORCH group of infections assay at the first visit itself depending on your doctor's advice. But in previous pregnancy as there was no history of any fever etc. your doctor may advice the test later if needed.

Finally, if the appointment with gynecologist in nhs is not possible in early pregnancy better to choose reliable private practitioner.