Have cold sore frequently. Suggest medicine for cure?

hi, I have woken up with a cold sore I have a few creams around the house just wondering if I can use them?? hydrocortisone acetate? otocomb otic? Deraaid 1%?Edidel? Hamilton?Antroquoril? please help me as I suffer from cold sore quite often and I find none of the shelf creams help if anything they make them worse.. thanks in advance!!
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 4 hours later

Cold sore is caused by herpes simplex virus. Unfortunately none of the creams you have mentioned will help for this condition.
It needs to be treated with either oral Acyclovir tablets or a topical Acyclovir ointment depending on how severe it is. If you are having more than 6 episodes of cold sores in a year, you will require suppressive treatment with oral acyclovir.

Hope this helps. If you have any other queries, please get back to me.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow-up: Have cold sore frequently. Suggest medicine for cure? 2 hours later
HI thanks for your promt reply! can you please explain what is a suppressive treatment with oral acyclovir is?? as I am breast feeding i seem to raley get them but if im not pregnant or breast feeding i continuely get them, its interfering with my day to day life. im so worried and fear when i do give up breast feeding if im gonna get them as bad as what i used to!! Please help !!
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suppressive treatment

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
The regular treatment of cold sores (episodic treatment) is Tablet Acyclovir 400 mg three times a day to be started as soon as you develop the prodromal symptoms like burning sensation and redness to be taken for 5 days. This will decrease the severity considerably.
If you get 6 or more such episodes in one year and if it interferes your day to day life you can take Tablet Acyclovir 400 mg twice a day everyday for one year. This is called suppressive treatment.
Consult your dermatologist for this as this is a prescription medicine. Please do not apply the creams which you have over the cold sore, it will not only help but will do harm as they are all immuno suppressants.
Hope I have answered your query,