Have cold sore, body pain, weakness, dizziness, tiredness and sinus infection. Could this be virus?

Question
Beginning of October I had a cold sore, body aches, feelings of being hot and cold, weak, tired and dizziness along with a sinus infection.My dr. prscribed a zpack. I was starting to feel better afew weeks later and now I have another cold sore and a stye on my lower lid and I feel weak along with the same symptoms I just listed. I have been under alot of stress lately I just dont understand how it came back so soon. Could this be a virus? I take vitamins everyday.
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question,

Based on what you described, it sounds like you have the herpes virus. Since you are under large amounts of stress, your immunity decreases allowing yourself to becoming more prone to recurrent flare ups and infections. Therefore in all probabilities the sores are likely to be herpes.

If you have an eye infection, keep your hands away from it. You can actually cause ocular contraction of the virus by touching the cold sore, then rubbing your eye.

The best thing to do is to go to your doctor and be evaluated for the herpes simplex virus. There are antivirals that can help prevent flare ups.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them for you.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ward

Follow-up: Have cold sore, body pain, weakness, dizziness, tiredness and sinus infection. Could this be virus? 15 hours later
Thank you for your response however I do not have herpes virus I was already checked for that. Can this just be a flu?

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 9 hours later
Thank you for your follow up.

Please provide a few more details so that I can answer you better. What has come back? The symptoms or the cold sores?
If it is the symptoms, it could be a virus. It could also be anxiety that is induced by the stress. If you have a recurrent sinus infection, most likely this is a viral infection. If you have a flu, most likely you would also have a fever involved. Do you have a fever?

Dr. Ward

Follow-up: Have cold sore, body pain, weakness, dizziness, tiredness and sinus infection. Could this be virus? 23 hours later
No fever. The flu like symptoms returned along with sinus congestion and pressure and a stye on my lower lid. 5 days been on erythromycin eye ointment 0.5% and Tobramycin 0.3%. why is my eye still irritated and how long does this take to go away. My eye is still itching and burning and getting discharge in eye.

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 33 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up.

Typically a stye will take 3-5 days to clear up. With eye drops you should be seeing results quicker than you are. If you are still having burning and discharge in your eye with medication, you should go to your ENT doctor and have them take a culture sample from the discharge so they can figure out if it is bacterial, fungal or viral. After they do the culture they will be able to put you on the appropriate medication.

Since you are experiencing these symptoms even after taking medication, it sounds like you may have a viral infection and need to be reevaluated to determine the best approach to treating you. Since I am not there and have not evaluated you I cannot fairly diagnose you or recommend which line of treatment you should use. My best recommendation is to see your ENT.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask I will gladly answer them for you.

Dr. Ward