Have cold sensation in head. Had stoke. Help?

Hi I am a 76 year old female I have a undiagnosed sympton I have seen several neurologists and took several medicines but to no avail there must be someone who has the same condition I have a cold sensation on the right side of my head it comes and goes but in the fast few months have had it every day it is so intense I can hardly function it has to be a nerve that is not functioning properly I just need to find some doctor who could help me I have had MRI and cat scans all within normal range I had a small stroke in 2007 but the neurologists do not think it has anything to with my symptons it is miserable otherwise I am in pretty good health had all kinds of test any one out thhere who can help XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for the query
I understand your concern
Your episodic symptoms could be related to the following possibilities
1. autonomic dysfunction
2. Rare possibility of seizure
I will advise you to get an EEG (Electroencephaogram, a test done in Neuro-lab and it detects abnormal brain currents).
We can decide about the medications and the ways to handle after this test. You may take a second opinion from a local neurologist as he has the advantage of examining you
Please let me know in case you have any other concern
Best wishes
Follow-up: Have cold sensation in head. Had stoke. Help? 33 minutes later
HI Dr Dash

I have had this problem a few years it has got so much worse would'nt the neurologist I am seeing would have done one of these tests what is autonomic dysfunction? I have no difficult in speaking and I am not confused my mind seems to be pretty sharp I play scrabble to keep my mind active there is a nerve that controls heat and cold sensations is there not could this be damaged ? I have tried to research this to try and find answers so do appreciate your help
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 22 hours later
Thanks for the comments
I am not sure, if your doctor has done autonomic function tests or not. This is a very peculiar presentation and many consultants may have difference of opinion. I noted that you do not have any difficulty in speaking, confusion etc.I personally feel that you need a re-evaluation in a university teaching medical hospital under the guidance of a neurologist where the case can be discussed, the clinical problem be reviewed rather than an office visit to a private neurologist where these types of problem may not be resolved. If the waiting time is long enough, please try medications like Gabapentine, pregabaline, carbamazepine which may help control these symptoms.
Please get back if you need additional information
Best wishes
Follow-up: Have cold sensation in head. Had stoke. Help? 12 hours later
Thank you Dr Dash you have been very helpful do you know of a teaching hospital where I might get help I live nr St XXXXXXX Missouri I would be very interested to pursue this line there must be somebody else who has or had my symptons I know I have not had these tests that you mention so will ask my doctor
regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 40 hours later
Thanks for the feed back