Have cold, headache, fever, burning nose and throat. How to get cured?

I have a cold. It started Thursday with a headache and then Friday the burning nose and throat and low grade fever started. Sinuses were awful. My temp only gets to about 99.4. Well it's been 5 days now and this low grade fever won't go away. It goes from 97.4 (my norm is around there) to 98.8 and occasionally 99.4. Up and down all day regardless of medicine. I can usually break the fever by day three. Why won't it go away? Plus why have I been foggy headed and my valance has been off since last night? I have a trip planned this weekend I must go on and I need this fever gone. Please help! Thanks!
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Don't worry - you can be well by the week-end.
The best option will be to see you doctor. An examination may reveal any cause or complication.
     Generally it is viral fever and the symptoms subside in 4 days. Prolongation may mean a secondary infection and you may need an anti-biotic. Another two days dictates the need for investigations – blood count and X-ray.
     If paracetamol (every 6 hours) is not helpful in fever, you can try Over The Counter (OTC) NSAID) – like Ibuprofen (up to 400 mg after food / 2 or 3 times in a day).
     The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. A tube (Eustachian tube) connects the throat to the middle ear – its block can contribute. Antihistamines given for ‘cold’ can also cause this. Stop it, if you are taking. Nasal decongestant drops (available over the counter) will help. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see in such a case of giddiness, especially when prolonged.

Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck