Have cold, cough and sneezing, soreness in the body. Could this be due to strained muscles from coughing?

Question
I have had a head & chest cold for the past three to four days. I am coughing quite a bit and sneezing.
Last night I woke up coughing and also had a very sore left side at the front and back. I thought I might be constipated, so I had 2 cups of Alpine Tea. I went to the bathroom twice, but the pain still remains. I thought it could be kidney stones or similar. But after a google search I realised it is not this. It does feel a little better when I stretch. Could it just be strained muscles from coughing?
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 41 minutes later

The soreness you have could be due to the muscle strain as you think.
Its very common presentation and see due to spasmic and sudden contraction of the abdominal and back muscles.This leave the muscles sore for two to three days.

Do apply Diclofenac gel on the affected area this will reduce the tenderness and help you recover soon.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.