Have cold chills, feels anxiety, get migraines, vomiting and sweating. Had hysterectomy. Suggest?

I have cold chills when it is over 100" outside, feels anxiety I get migraines then start vomiting, when outside I sweat profusely, I had a MI in 2004 heart XXXXXXX Hysterectomy 1988, something's just feels not right, gained 40 lbs in 4-5 months!!! Need help

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

As you have mentioned, you have had hysterectomy and MI in the past. Presently you are unusually experiencing chills at temperatures over 100 degrees and associated weight gain, anxiety, migraines and vomiting.

Some of these symptoms may lead to a suspicion of hyperthyroidism and endocrine abnormalities. It is not unusual to have hyperthyroidism in middle age and this needs to be evaluated clinically. In hyperthyroid state, there is anxiety and related profuse sweating. There may also be increased appetite which can explain the weight increase. Thyroid abnormality must be evaluated by an endocrinologist and they may ask for TSH, T3, T4 levels in blood and also get you to do an ultrasound scan of the thyroid gland.

Another possibility at your age to be discussed would be perimenopausal symptoms. This is due to the play of hormones in the body. This also may be experienced as anxiety, weight gain and mood changes. Heat intolerance and sweating are also seen in perimenopause.

The two clinical conditions described above need to be evaluated clinically and treatment for both the conditions is often encouraging.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be any further queries, please feel free to ask.

If you do not have any queries, I request you to please close this thread.

Dr A Rao Kavoor