Have cold and sore throat with cough. Reason for changing of voice?

dear sir,on avisit to a cold region for six days i got sore throat at first and subsequently got cough almost consistantly. the flehm deposit in the throat almost daily particularly during night. iam to clear the throat continusly and thereby no sleep at all in the night.but however the cough is controlled on medication and no cold. only the flehm deposit in the throat is still persisting.
now coming to the subject proper i had hoarse voice initially along with cough.after medication there is slight improvement but totally not restored. wishperig is possible. middle level talk is not bad high pitch talk the voice vibrates.
pleaase note itook anti biotics and tablets for ten days. the doctor told me to hold and no medicines. he says it may cure automatically. I AM AGED 80 YEARS.
request advice for immediate restoration of voice.
my e mail
please reply. thanking u sir,XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The hoarseness that you are still experiencing is part of the illness that your were experiencing and the persisting mucus in your throat.
Post nasal drip (mucus in the back of the throat) can cause hoarseness, sorethroat and cough.
To treat it you would need to use anti histamines such as histal/loratidine/allegra/zytec combined with a topical nasal spray such as nasonex/flonase/rhynase.
I have provided these different names because I am not sure which one is available at your local pharmacy.

In addition to the above you would need to (1) avoid talking as much as possible- don't whisper, this actually places more stress on the vocal cords(2) use alot of water (3) avoid any contact with cigarette smoke (4) try gargling with a 1/2 tsp of salt or vinegar in 6 ounces of water three times a day (5) avoid alcohol (6) use a humidfier or inhale steam from a bowl of water.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have cold and sore throat with cough. Reason for changing of voice? 13 hours later
dear sir,
thank u for your tangible advice.iwill follow. but whateffect the antibiotic s about 16tablets ihave taken .as i have stopped it now can i leaveto simply goggling and avoid speech.
iin the night time the flehm in the throat is not allowing to sleep. inthe day time the stress in the throat is less.the medicines you have sugested whether it cause alergy or side affect. as i have already taken similar anti bio tics and it is stopped now can i continue the other exercise. how long it takes to restore voice normally.
finally i m under continuos medication for blood pressure and i stopped during thnis period. can i contiue now/
thank u sir, please answer.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Yes you can continue taking your blood pressure medication, it will not affect the return of your voice.

The antibiotics would have helped mainly with your cough, in most persons laryngitis is viral and antibiotics will not help in a viral infection.

The medication suggested is to reduce the mucus production which would be making the hoarseness worse. It is not to say you have allergies, just that in a person with this type of illness there may be increased mucus which is as a result of increased histamine and this medication would reduce the histamine.

Hopes this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have cold and sore throat with cough. Reason for changing of voice? 43 hours later
dear doctor, thank u for your sincere answer and i am of late not able to sleep at all during the whole night partly because of the mucus in the throat and for clering and and so tossing in the bed. as such in the morning iam feeling very weak. in the day time also the same thing and how long it will be like this.
any mild sedative is required?. how long the sedtion will last . the throat also goes drink water iam to get up from bed often. so the possible sleep may also get disturbed. kindly advice. thanking you madam,
sincerely yours,
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
In general symptoms related to respiratory tract infections can last up to 6 weeks in some persons unfortunately.

Steam inhalation may help with the dryness you are experiencing
A short acting sedative would help you get better rest at night, one example is lorazepam. You can consider speaking to your doctor regarding a prescription.

Please feel free to ask any other questions