Have cold and sore throat. Hurts to swallow. Is this a serious problem?

I am having pain in my throat, half way down the neck though. And slightly on the right side of my windpipe. Like maybe the larynx area. Not at the top of the throat like when you typically have a sore throat. It hurts to swallow about 75% of the time. But sometimes nothing. I have had it for 2-3 weeks, and now I feel like I have a cold with no fever and the swallow pain is radiating to my right ear.

I am afraid it might be something more serious than a cold due to the odd location of the pain and the fact I've had it for 3 weeks.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 22 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic.
The fact that you have a pain in the throat while swallowing suggests that there is an obvious inflamation in the throat. Now although this inflamation can be due to various reasons. But going through your account in detail the most possible reasons could be
1. An ulcer
2. Pharyngitis
3. Tonsilitis
All these three can cause the type of pain that you have descibed. The pain does radiate towards ear as there is a common nerve supply.
Interestingly the treatment in all these causes are more or less the same.
You need to start an antibiotic course of either amoxyciline or cefixime.
You will also need paracetamol cetrizine and betadine gargles
Vit c chewable tablets and antioxidants will also help you.
The pains due to the above causes can last for long as 2 to 3 weeks.
You can get an indirect laryngoscopy done to confirm the cause.
Its a bit unlikely for thia pain to be due to anymore serious causes as serious conditions like malignancy are mostly painless.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
If you have any further queries do let me know.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Have cold and sore throat. Hurts to swallow. Is this a serious problem? 41 minutes later
Do these three issues listed effect much lower down in the throat. The pain I am feeling is almost where the Adam's XXXXXXX is. Not near the top of throat that is visible from the mouth.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 hours later
Hello again,
Yes all the three reasons stated before can cause the pain much down under. Its only if the infection spreads to the upper part of the throat that the pain occurs like in usual pharyngitis. Otherwise the pain will stay only down under.
The other thing I missed out to mention is that long standing pain in lower half of the throat, down under can also occur with
GERD can cause reflux of acid in the throat leading to inflamation and pain and can even last for 1 month or more. Discuss this with your doctor and consider staring an anti acid and domperidone with the above medications.
Hope I am able to help you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy