Have cold and neck pain after sneezing. Cause of concern?

ENT Specialist
I have a cold and when I sneeze I get a searing unbearable pain in the back of my neck radiating outwards. It's unbearable for 10 -15 seconds. What is the underlying reason for this? I havent had any back injuries or so on in the past
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common causes for this would include:
a. Muscle spasms pressinfg on nerve roots or causing nerve entrapment
b. Cervical spondylosis
c. Raised intra-cranial tension.

2. Get your Cervical Spine X-rays done. Get a Neurologist's opinion to identify the exact dermatome (area). This will help identify the nerve supply involved.

3. Anti-histamines will help reduce the sneezing while the investigations are going on.

4. Does this also happen while coughing?

8. Avoid coughing hard, sneeze with the mouth open and use a thinner pillow.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.