Ask a Urologist   »  

Have cold and itchy groin area. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi, am having itchy balls, my dick and balls feels cold, what could cause this?
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
ITCHING on scrotum and its sides with a cold feeling is most probably due to ring worm infection (Dermatophytes).

It is easily curable with appropriate antifungal antibiotics both topical and systemic and anti-histamines for itching. Both have to be continued for at least 4 weeks to prevent recurrences on the advice of your Dermatologist.

You may try an over the counter available ointment like Candid or clotrimazole twice daily on the affected parts for 4 weeks.

Avoid sharing your clothes, towel, and soaps with others and avoid bathing in common pool. Use cotton inner-wears and avoid tight clothing and its continuous use more than 10-12 hours.

The other possibilities are seborrheic Dermatitis, irritant contact dermatitis and may be due to ecto-parasites. These can be differentiated well by your dermatologist, and all can be easily managed well and he/she will help you recover fast.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.