Have cold and hear screeching in ear when blow nose. feel dizzy and nauseated. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have a cold and when I blow my nose I hear a horrible screeching in my ears...I feel a lot of pressure in my ears. I feel dizzy and nauseated. The mucous is yellow..sometimes it drains and most of the time it doesn't.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blocked Eustachian tube. Not serious.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The screeching you hear in your ears is due to blocked Eustachian tubes. These are the connections between your middle ear and the back of your nose.When you have a cold, the lining of the tubes becomes swollen and the mucus easily blocks the tubes. When you blow your nose, there is a build up of pressure which will slightly open the blocked tube and air will pass in through the narrow opening. This movement of air is what you are hearing and it can sound like a screeching.
Pressure in your ears with dizziness and nausea is also a common side-effect of a cold causing blocked tubes.
To relieve these symptoms try decongestant nasal sprays and drops.
The symptoms of blocked Eustachian tubes may continue for a few days after the cold has gone.
Colds are caused by viruses therefore antibiotics are not indicated for the treatment. The symptoms of a cold should improve over 5 to 7 days.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Have cold and hear screeching in ear when blow nose. feel dizzy and nauseated. Suggest? 35 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Pottinger for answering my question...what are the names/brands of the decongestant nasal sprays and drops that you suggest? Are they over the counter? I will have my daughter pick them up for me. thank you
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Many available.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your further question.
There are many decongestants available over the counter. Therefore, the best plan would be to look for those containing pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine. These drugs constrict small blood vessels and help reduce swelling in the Eustachian tubes. Any pharmacist will be able to advise what they have available. Some of them will be combined with other drugs such as paracetamol or aspirin so you need to be aware in case you are taking any other pain-killers for your symptoms.
Hope this helps and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr K A Pottinger