Have cold and getting constant odor of cereal or yeast. How to get relief?

I had a cold that lasted about 3 weeks. For the past week I seem to have lost most of my sense of smell except for a constant odor of cereal or yeast. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Following a bout of upper respiratory tract infection one may have transient loss of sense of smell. With the infection subsiding the sense comes back but may take time. I shall appreciate if you can share the medications that you are having and let us know if you have any history of diabetes, hypertension, etc.

You can take steam inhalation to reduce the mucosal inflammation in the upper respiratory tract which shall result in faster recovery.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarificatioins or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.