Have cold and fever. Found high ESR count in blood test. Reason for raised ESR level?

My 3 year old daughter has high ESR count in the blood test. SHe had cold and fever last week and ESR count was 110 today, yesterday it was 80. She is very healthy like a normal kid. I would like to know why this ESR rate. Any other tests has to be done? Please advise to me.My email Id is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 31 minutes later

ESR is a non specific marker of inflammation. As your child was having cold and fever last week, ESR remains on higher side for 5 to 6 days of treatment and usually takes 3 weeks to come to normal level.
Your child is asymptomatic, so there is nothing to worry.

I would suggest you to repeat it after one week( from a reputed lab.)
Get a CBC and CRP done, and case it remains persistently high, she needs to be evaluated by pediatrician as some tests will be needed to rule out certain conditions like;
anemia, autoimmune disorders and others.

Hope I answered your query, if you have any questions, I would like to help.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless.