Have cold and coughing sputum with blood spots. On warfarin. Should I be worried?

I am a week into my cold. Am coughing up sputum but now it seems to have blood spots in it. I am on warfarin. Is this a trip to emergency? Or what?
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Emergency Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Blood stained sputum can occur in lower respiratory infection however since you are on warfarin it is an added cause for the blood stained sputum. Here are my suggestions to you 1. Please go into the ER and get your INR checked and also a chest x ray to rule out a lower respiratory infection 2. Cough with sputum will need to be treated with antibiotics like Levofloxacin or Axithromycin 3. I must add here that Tab Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor which can cause cough in some patients but most often cough is dry and without sputum 4.Avoid cold beverages, smoking abd walks in cold climate. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards