Have cold and cough with mucus. Unable to speak. How to get relief from this?

Hi Doctor,

My sister got cold last few weeks and now she is unable to speak because of cold. There is no running nose now. Little cough with mucus.

Please suggest how to get relief from this.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 minutes later
The symptoms of throat pain and hoarse voice or inability to speak is suggestive of severe due to Viral infection or bacterial infection primarily or secondarily when viral infection stays unabated for 5-7 days.
You should prevent her from exposure to cold, XXXXXXX enough warm cloths.
Have bed rest and take lots of fluids like soups, lemon water, curds, tea and other household liquids and take a balanced diet.
Decongestant medicines like Wikoryl take thrice a day are the main stay treatment. She should be evaluated by a physician of your locality and get assessed if she also require antibiotics. She should improve upon the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after she takes anything orally.
If still have malaise and fever then take acetaminophen(paracetamol) 500mg as required.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing your sister a good health.