Have cold and blocked nose. Felt hard ridge inside nose. Using nasal spray. Whats wrong?

Sep 2012

Hi. I've had a cold and noticed blockage in my right nostril - clears slower than the other one. When I feel inside, I can feel a kind of hard ridge towards the top which doesn't seem to be on the other side. A bit worried. GP has given me a nasal spray which is helping with the congestion, but I am still worried about what seems to be a hard swelling.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 10 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the hard ridge which you felt, may be a bony structure, part of the nasal septum. It indicates presence of any deviated nasal septum. In this situation, nasal congestion, snoring are very common. But, it should be confirmed by physical examination.

You can use the nasal spray.

You should consult with an ear nose throat (ENT) specialist for clinical examination with speculum and for investigations required and for further management. In this cases surgical procedures like septoplasty is indicated.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have cold and blocked nose. Felt hard ridge inside nose. Using nasal spray. Whats wrong? 15 minutes later
Thanks. I don't think it is the septum as it is not toward the middle of my nose, but toward the fleshy outer part. I have an appt with an ENT doctor, but not until next week and was just looking for insight in the mean time. It doesn't hurt and seems to flatten slightly when I push it.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

As you did not mentioned its position earlier, I told you that DNS is a possibility.

But, now, from your description, i think it may be an outgrowth of the nasal mucosa. As you told that it seems to flatten when you push it, the lesion does not seem to be a bony one. Because, in that case, it would be more hard and rigid.

But, its nature can be confirmed only after a clinical examination using the speculum.