Have cold along with throat and sinus pain. Neck feels sore. What is the reason?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
I have a cold along with throat pain, sinus pain and stuffy nose. My neck felt sore so i pressed and felt two small glands cervical area. Im scared of cancer
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX The presence of glands in the neck with the history of throat pain, sinus pain, stuffy nose suggests lymph node enlargement in the neck. The most common cause of lymph node enlargement is infection and inflammation. Treatment of throat pain, sore throat and stuffy nose will clear away the neck swelling also. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Have cold along with throat and sinus pain. Neck feels sore. What is the reason? 3 minutes later
I appreciate what you are saying, but what is the reason i could feel the glands before this viral illness? I have had 3 viral illness since january. I have children who seem to pass on to me and just delivered a baby 7 months ago. I am worried i have a cancer

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Repeated infections can cause lymphadenopathy Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, As you have mentioned that you have had repeated viral infections, this can be a cause of lymph node enlargement. Sometimes the lymph nodes due to past infection persist for very long durations. So, there is nothing to worry much about this. There is no history suggestive of cancer. However, if you are in doubt get an aspiration cytology done. In this investigation, a thin needle is inserted in the swelling, cells are aspirated, spread on a glass slide, stained and viewed under the microscope. This simple investigation will differentiate between cancer and non-cancerous lesion. Consult your doctor for clinical examination and prescription of this investigation. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Have cold along with throat and sinus pain. Neck feels sore. What is the reason? 1 hour later
Thank you. I have seen an ENT and had bloods such as ESR, LDH, and CRP and various others. I also saw a haematologist as I was worried about LYmphoma(this was before I felt these glands), I had two through examinations and the above bloods run. I was told all was normal both during the exam and with the results of the bloods. Do you think if something was seriously wrong something would have shown? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes the investigations would have been abnormal. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Cancers are associated with other constitutional symptoms as well as abnormal laboratory investigations. Malignancy may be associated with raised ESR, raised LDH, low hemoglobin, etc. Constitutional features of fever, weight loss, tiredness, fatigue are commonly associated with malignancies. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal