Have cluster of pimples on chin and cold sore close to lips. How to get relief?

Have a small cluster of what looks like pimples on the left bottom of chin. I once had a cold sore on the very same side only closer to the lips. Last October .
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query. I will be glad to be of assistance.

I would like to request you to post a photo here of the skin lesions. It would be very useful in making an appropriate diagnosis. Please let me know if it would be possible.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Alternatively, you may mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY with subject as “ Attention to Dr. Kruti”.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Have cluster of pimples on chin and cold sore close to lips. How to get relief? 23 hours later
Can not upload from iPad, what is your email address?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the photos.

This seems like herpes simplex or cold sore. Usually it is self limiting and heals on its own. However in cases of recurrent attacks, taking oral medication like valacyclovir will be necessary.

Right now you can apply Neosporin over it twice a day for a week. In case it does not heal, you could visit your Dermatologist for a prescription for valacyclovir.

Please let me know if you have any queries.